javaweb-people

[Javaweb-people] Re: gcj vs classpath merge status

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: [Javaweb-people] Re: gcj vs classpath merge status
Date: 29 Jan 2002 20:23:36 +0000

"Etienne M. Gagnon" <address@hidden> writes:

> Astyle does't go as far as GNU indent for controling the indentation
> of code "within" a line of code (e.g. space before parentheses,
> etc.).  But it is much better than nothing!

The trouble is GNU-Java style (as used on the GCJ project) is slightly
different from GNU-C style (AFAIK).

The main difference is that no one bothers with the space before the
parenthesis most of the time.

Personally, in my Java code, I do this:

  public Type methodName (Type arg1, Type arg2)
    throws Type
  {
     int variable = (TypeCast) someMethod(argument);
     if (variable == 1)
       try
         {
            someActionMethod();
         }
       catch (Exception e)
         {
         }
     return arg;
  }

In other words all brackets have a space in front of them except
method invocations.

This is very useful coz it means you can search for method
declerations by name quite easily.

However, since we are supposed to all code to a style it would be
useful if we all agreed on something.

What I said a while ago was that if we all agreed on something then
I would happily update indent so that we can use it. It might take me
a while but I will do it (partly to learn about indent).

So perhaps we should have a discussion here, because this is where all
the GNU-Java people are supposed to be.

Here is the list of current subscribers to this list:

address@hidden
address@hidden
address@hidden
address@hidden
address@hidden
address@hidden
address@hidden

If you think anyone else should be on here, either subscribe them
directly or let me know and I'll do it.

Mr Tromey: should Bryce be on here?

Nic