javaweb-people

[Javaweb-people] [Javaweb-submit] listing Java programs in Free Software

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: [Javaweb-people] [Javaweb-submit] listing Java programs in Free Software Directory as first class citizens (was Re: [Fwd - Frm: address@hidden, Subj: Re: Inclusion])
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 23:59:44 +0100

>>> "Bradley M. Kuhn" <address@hidden> 02-Aug-01 5:35:23 PM >>>

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

  I think that is a good idea, but let's first discuss it
  with the people who maintain our list of Java programs.
  Who does that nowadays?

Bradley replied:
   Nominally, it's the folks on <address@hidden> (namely,
   me, rao, and arenn), although non of us have much time
   to give to it.  I think they will likely agree that it makes sense

   to integrate things into the Free Software Directory.

Actually, since the javaweb project was started I have been managing
the java-software page (this is the page of submitted free java
software).

The management is done through the javaweb-submit list (I did tell
everyone about that) which people can join if they want.

Voume is quite low but I've made a few changes since we started.

Bradley said:
   Now that GCC supports Java, and a full Free Software Java
   implementation is basically done Java programs are not
   "special" any more.  It's basically no different than listing
   libraries and programs written in C++.

   I think we should integrate all Java programs we list into the
Free
   Software Directory.

FWIW I do think it's a good idea. Though I wish the process for
submitting stuff to the FSD was streamlined. Maybe a web based submit
tool would help.

Nic Ferrier