javaweb-discuss

[Javaweb-discuss] Re: Is Java free software?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Javaweb-discuss] Re: Is Java free software?
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 17:54:38 -0400

    Doesn't whether a technology is Free Software depend on whether
    hackers are free to use it for any purpose, free to adapt it to our
    needs and so on?

I think it is a mistake to use the term "a technology" in this
context.  The term is vague, and it tends to lead to confusion.

We have a well-defined criterion for whether a given program is free
software.

For a language (such as Java) or protocol, the meaningful question is
whether it is _supported_ by free software.  Can you use it with free
software exclusively?

By avoiding the term "a technology", we have to distinguish between
programs and languages, and thus we will see which criteria to apply.