jailkit-users

[Jailkit-users] Another Question re: Apps that Require Root

From: Calvin Cannon
Subject: [Jailkit-users] Another Question re: Apps that Require Root
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:13:15 -0700

We're trying to set up Linux servers to rsync files onto a backup
server over an ssh tunnel.  We currently have a jailed ssh account
with rsync included in the jail.  The problem we run into however is
that this configuration does not preserve the Unix permissions of the
files, but rather saves the files under the user & group names of the
account on the backup server.

I have been able to preserve permissions by running an rsync daemon as
root without an ssh tunnel.  (authentication is done through rsync
rather than using ssh pub/private key files)  Ssh tunneling is
preferred for many reasons, but I can't think of a way of preserving
transferred file permissions without compromising the integrity of the
jail.

Has anyone else run into this issue?  If so, what was your solution?

Thanks!