jailkit-users

Re: [Jailkit-users] Cannot find file '/usr/sbin/jk_chrootsh' when using

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Jailkit-users] Cannot find file '/usr/sbin/jk_chrootsh' when using ssh
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 18:40:27 +0100

>Olivier Sessink wrote:
>> I'm using jailkit 2.0.  All binaries are in /usr/sbin.
>> /etc/passwd contains the correct path, i.e. /usr/sbin/jk_chrootsh
>> <jail>/dev contains 'tty' 'log=' 'urandom'
>>
>> su - takes me straight into the jail. No problem.  As does,
>> su <jailuser>  All then looks and works aok.
>
> sorry I meant 'su - <jailuser>', does that work?

Yes, it does.  Only complains about the missing /usr/sbin/jk_chrootsh
when coming in via ssh.

>> ssh'ing in from an external ( or local ) machine gives the following
>> sequence:
>>
>>     ssh address@hidden
>>     address@hidden's password:
>>     Last login: Mon Jul 3 23:12:22 2006 from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>>     /usr/sbin/jk_chrootsh: no such file or directory
>
> if you manually start /usr/sbin/jk_chrootsh, what happens? it should
> give you some log message.

 1: 'abort, jk_chrrootsh is run by root. which ... '
 2:  'error: /dev/pts/2; no such file or directory'

>> Checking /var/log/auth/* shows username and password are accepted,
>> but that the new entry /dev/pts/x fails to be created.
>>
>> Maybe something being copied that should'nt be when I issue the command,
>> jk_init -v /<jail>  ssh ??

> possibly, the defaults in jk_init.ini are taken from a Debian machine,
> so there could be files missing..

I'd already amended the ini to suit the installation.  No apparent
errors on the copy itself.  As mentioned, omplains about the missing
file ( which actually isn't missing at all ) when attemting to log
in via ssh.  Copying the jk_chrootsh file into the jail itself stops
the complaint. Why it should be looking in the jail though, I don't know.

>> I've been trying figure out the differences between the two installs.
>> The one behaving itself is on a self-compiled distro based on Crux,
>> 2.6.xx kernel.
>>
>> The one not, is on a 2.2 version of Trustix, 2.4.xx
>
> is it using SELinux ?

That, I'd have to download and test out!

> 'strace' might be the best option to debug this further..
>
> see the howto on debugging jails

Ok. Will give it a shot.  Report back if pertinent.

Thanks.

Chris.