jailkit-dev

Re: [Jailkit-dev] Little issue about jailkit in Debian (urgent)

From: Eriberto
Subject: Re: [Jailkit-dev] Little issue about jailkit in Debian (urgent)
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 01:10:00 -0300

Dear Olivier,

Debian is a project focused on security. In the hard freeze stage is
not usual to upload new upstream releases, even not hurting the main
rules in policy. Uploads in hard freeze must be essential to program
health, not minor fixes. In your new release you have an important
security fix and a minor security fix. To upload  this new release, I
will need:

- Drop all patches[1] because they were partially applied by you. I
say partially because you changed the manpage jailkit from level 8 to
level 7 in its name, but in the .TH line it remains 8. Consequently...
- I will need to create a new patch to fix the level of jailkit.
- I also will need change debian/rules to install the manpage using
the new name (jailkit.7)

[1] https://sources.debian.org/src/jailkit/2.21-3/debian/patches/

>From Debian Lintian:

E: jailkit: odd-place-for-manual-page usr/share/man/man8/jailkit.7.gz
W: jailkit: wrong-manual-section usr/share/man/man7/jailkit.7.gz:1 7 != 8
W: jailkit: wrong-manual-section usr/share/man/man8/jailkit.7.gz:1 7 != 8
I: jailkit: spare-manual-page usr/share/man/man8/jailkit.7.gz

Via debdiff I can see changes in other files, such as py/jk_lib.py,
src/jk_lsh.c and src/jk_socketd.c. It is another problem to get an ok
from the Release Team. The main goal in hard freeze is not to make
changes to observe the behavior of the system to be released. The
Release Team do not accept any change in packages just because it does
not hurt the freeze policy.

I will go ahead asking for an unblock for a new upload fixing
jk_update (Debian bug #991075). Don't worry. When Debian 11 was
released, I will send jailkit 2.22 to untable and to stable-backports,
making it available for all users og the stable, via Backports[2].
Currently, jailkit is already available in BPO (stable-backports)[3].

[2] https://backports.debian.org/
[3] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/jailkit

Thanks a lot for your work and quick reply.

Cheers,

Eriberto