jailkit-dev

Re: [Jailkit-dev] Jailkit Staging and Chroot installs

From: Stephen Tallowitz
Subject: Re: [Jailkit-dev] Jailkit Staging and Chroot installs
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 18:38:30 +0200

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 08:02:04 +0200
Olivier Sessink <address@hidden> wrote:

> can you make a patch for jailkit cvs ?

I will, the patch is intended for people wanting to patch current stable (which
I'm doing in the gentoo ebuild)

> Since DESTDIR is mostly for package maintainers: I think most package
> maintainers should include a distribution-customized way to append a
> shell to /etc/shells anyway.

What I've ought to have made is a sane default. If someone were compiling from
a base system into a chroot it should do the right thing. If they or the
chroot-compile programm are using DESTDIR - which seems to be a standard - it
will allow for porting with minimal amount. Of course you're right, most
distributions will want to handle files in /etc separateley anyway. If the
"append to /etc/shells"-routine is not needed, the packager will just have to
comment out that bit of Makefile.in.

Cheers,
Stephen

PS: Patch for CVS will be delivered later
PPS: For anyone interested in DESTDIR, this explanation is even nicer than the
one from GNU:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/porting-prefix.html