jailkit-dev

[Jailkit-dev] Jailkit Staging and Chroot installs

From: Stephen Tallowitz
Subject: [Jailkit-dev] Jailkit Staging and Chroot installs
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 18:19:33 +0200

Hello Oli and List,

I'm currently rewriting the jailkit ebuild on gentoo and have come across
something that might be of interest to all using jailkit:

The makefiles don't support $DESTDIR

Here's what destdir does:
http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/DESTDIR.html

I've created a patch (attached in this mail). I'd appreciate any feedback as to
wether this work on other platforms or if any problems are encountered. (Patch
is for jailkit 2.0).

How to patch (for those who've never done it):
- cd ~/temp
- copy jailkit-2.0.tar.bz2 and jailkit-2.0-destdir.patch to ~/temp
- tar -xvjf jailkit-2.0.tar.bz2
- patch -p0 <jailkit-2.0-destdir.patch

Compiling and installing:
- prepare installation directory (example: mkdir /srv/jailkit_install)
- run ./configure && make
- run make DESTDIR=/srv/jailkit_install

Now jailkit should have been installed into /srv/jailkit_install

There is a small remark I'd like to make:
The patch is created in such a way that it modifies /etc/shells in DESTDIR. The
reasoning being that jailkit will probably be installed into a DESTDIR where
there's a running basic operating system (thus /etc/shells should exist in that
DESTDIR).

Cheers and happy testing,
Stephen