info-press

[GNU/FSF Press] Call for nominations for the 2006 Free Software Award fo

From: Peter Brown
Subject: [GNU/FSF Press] Call for nominations for the 2006 Free Software Award for Projects of Social Benefit
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:28:36 -0400

Nominations are requested by October 31 2006.

BOSTON, September 21, 2006 — The Free Software Foundation (FSF)
announces a request for nominations for the 2006 Free Software Award for
Projects of Social Benefit.

This award is presented to the project or team responsible for applying
free software, or the ideas of the free software movement, in a project
that intentionally and significantly benefits society in other aspects
of life. We look to recognize projects or teams that encourage
collaboration to accomplish social tasks. A long-term commitment to
one's project (or the potential for a long-term commitment) is crucial
to this end.

Last years winner Wikipedia was recognized for creating a free, online,
collaborative, encyclopedia utilizing free software and free document
licensing. As a collaborative project it has achieved enormous success
and given free access to knowledge, which is fundamentally important to
the advancement and freedom of any society.

The Free Software Award for Projects of Social Benefit stresses the use
of free software in the service of humanity. We have deliberately chosen
this broad criterion so that many different areas of activity can be
considered. However, one area that is not included is that of free
software development itself. Projects with a primary goal of promoting
or advancing free software are not eligible for this award (we honor
those projects with our annual Award for the Advancement of Free
Software).

To qualify, a project must use free software, produce free
documentation, or use the idea of free software as defined in the Free
Software Definition. Work done commercially is eligible, but we will
give this award to the project or team that best utilizes resources for
society's greater benefit.

Please send your nominations to <address@hidden>, on or
before 31 October 2006. Please submit nominations in the following
format:

 - Put the name of the project or team you are nominating in the email
message subject line.

 - Please include, in the body of your message, an explanation (40 lines
or less) of the project, how it uses free software or free software
ideas, and why you think it is especially important to society.

 - Please state, in the body of your message, where to find the
materials  (e.g., software, manuals, or writing) which your nomination
is based on.

The 2005 award committee was composed of: Peter H. Salus (chair),
Richard Stallman, Alan Cox, Lawrence Lessig, Guido van Rossum, Frederic
Couchet, Jonas Oberg, Hong Feng, Bruce Perens, Raju Mathur, Suresh
Ramasubramanian, Enrique A. Chaparro, and Ian Murdock.

Members of the 2006 award committee will shortly be announced.

About The Free Software Foundation
The Free Software Foundation, founded in 1985, is dedicated to promoting
computer users' right to use, study, copy, modify, and redistribute
computer programs. The FSF promotes the development and use of free (as
in freedom) software — particularly the GNU operating system and its
GNU/Linux variants — and free documentation for free software. The FSF
also helps to spread awareness of the ethical and political issues of
freedom in the use of software. Their Web site, located at
http://www.fsf.org, is an important source of information about
GNU/Linux. Donations to support their work can be made at
http://donate.fsf.org. Their headquarters are in Boston, MA, USA.