info-mtools

[Info-mtools] mtools-4.0.32 build feedback

From: Nelson H. F. Beebe
Subject: [Info-mtools] mtools-4.0.32 build feedback
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 12:23:46 -0600

I got successful builds and installations of mtools-4.0.32 on 14
platforms in our lab, includind CentOS 5, 7, and 8, Debian 7, RedHat
8, Oracle 7 and 8, and Ubuntu 20.04 O/Ses on ia-64, MIPS R5000, and
x86_64,

However, on two versions of macOS on x86_64, and FreeBSD 13 on i686
and x86_64, I got this compilation failure:

        remap.c:94:13: error: use of undeclared identifier 'EBADR'
                                errno = EBADR;

On CentOS 6 x86_64 with native gcc-4.8.5, I got this failure:

        /usr/bin/cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DSYSCONFDIR=\"/usr/local/etc\"
        -DCPU_x86_64 -DVENDOR_pc -DOS_linux_gnu -g -O2 -Wall
        -fno-strict-aliasing -I.  -I.  -c config.c
        config.c: In function 'get_env_conf':
        config.c:265: error: #pragma GCC diagnostic not allowed inside functions
        config.c:266: error: #pragma GCC diagnostic not allowed inside functions
        config.c:285: error: #pragma GCC diagnostic not allowed inside functions
        config.c: In function 'set_var':
        config.c:515: error: #pragma GCC diagnostic not allowed inside functions
        config.c:516: error: #pragma GCC diagnostic not allowed inside functions
        config.c:540: error: #pragma GCC diagnostic not allowed inside functions

I did a fresh build with gcc-5.5.0 (thanks to my having built many
versions of gcc on our systems from versions 2 to 12), and that
succeeded.

On Solaris 11.4 x86_64 with native Sun /usr/bin/cc, I had to add -lnsl
to the LIBS variable to resolve this problem

        cc -R/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib buffer.o charsetConv.o
        codepages.o config.o copyfile.o devices.o dirCache.o directory.o
        direntry.o expand.o fat.o fat_free.o file.o file_name.o filter.o
        floppyd_io.o force_io.o hash.o init.o lba.o llong.o lockdev.o match.o
        mainloop.o mattrib.o mbadblocks.o mcat.o mcd.o mclasserase.o mcopy.o
        mdel.o mdir.o mdoctorfat.o mdu.o mformat.o minfo.o misc.o missFuncs.o
        mk_direntry.o mlabel.o mmd.o mmount.o mmove.o mpartition.o
        mshortname.o mshowfat.o mzip.o mtools.o offset.o old_dos.o
        open_image.o patchlevel.o partition.o plain_io.o precmd.o privileges.o
        remap.o scsi_io.o scsi.o signal.o stream.o streamcache.o subdir.o
        swap.o unixdir.o tty.o vfat.o xdf_io.o strtonum.o -o mtools -lsocket
        -liconv
        gethostbyname                       floppyd_io.o  (symbol belongs to
implicit dependency /lib/libnsl.so.1)
        inet_addr                           floppyd_io.o  (symbol belongs to
implicit dependency /lib/libnsl.so.1)
        endhostent                          floppyd_io.o  (symbol belongs to
implicit dependency /lib/libnsl.so.1)

However, that was not enough, because compilation then died with

        devices.c:395:10: fatal error: sys/fdio.h: No such file or directory
         #include <sys/fdio.h>

I retried the build with CC set to the Oracle-supplied /usr/bin/gcc
(10.2.0), but that too failed because of that missing header file.

- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB    Internet e-mail: beebe@math.utah.edu  -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       beebe@acm.org  beebe@computer.org -