info-mtools

Re: [Info-mtools] operation not permitted while setting disk parameters

From: Alain Knaff
Subject: Re: [Info-mtools] operation not permitted while setting disk parameters in find_device
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 13:18:54 +0200

Hi Frank,

On 20/05/2021 10:19, Frank Loeffler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks a lot for your time and continuing work on mtools. It saved me
> from quite a headache I believe.

I'm happy to hear this :-)

> Earlier I described a tiny issue I had
> with what I think would be the correct solution (that also works for
> me). The thread (replied to here) went stale, and I also am guilty of
> not pinging more often.

I must have missed this message, sorry for that.

> Let me try to get attention in a different way: a patch / pull request.

Yeah, a patch would have been sufficient (and in this case way shorter) :-)

[ snipped ... minfo RDWR for ioctl ]

Now, off the top of my head, I can't see right now where minfo would
need to issue an ioctl that needs write access. Care to elaborate?
Indeed, just making minfo require write access unconditionally is
certainly not a good idea, as it would make minfo inaccessible to users
which otherwise can't have write access (permissions, or simply
write-protected media).

Regards,

Alain