info-mtools

[mtools] mcat with DD disk

From: Johannes Simon
Subject: [mtools] mcat with DD disk
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 00:37:22 +0200

Hi,

I just subscribed to this list to report an error mit mcat:

I used

mcat a: > disk.img

on a DD disk with mtools 3.9.9 on a i386/debian/unstable system.
After performing well for a while a read error occured (I suppose mcat
expected a HD disk); the error message was repeated several times
until mcat began to flood my harddisk: The second time I did this
experiment (I don't want to do it again) I watched the size of the
disk.img file growing suddenly (!) over 1GB (on a
Reiserfs-partition). After succeeding in killing mcat (all system
ressources were used for the harddisk) I did

rm disk.img ,

but this task didn't stop and I couldn't kill it any more (kill -9, as
root). Strange....
My harddisk had a few inconsistencies after that ;-)

Hope this helps,

Johannes