info-member

[FSF] Software Freedom Day on 9/19, general info. plus details for Bosto

From: Deborah Nicholson
Subject: [FSF] Software Freedom Day on 9/19, general info. plus details for Boston!
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 16:31:36 -0400

Hi everyone,

I'm writing to remind you that Software Freedom Day (SFD) is fast
approaching, and you should invite yourself to create a SFD for your
friends, colleagues and local community. Software Freedom
Day http://softwarefreedomday.org/) is Saturday, September 19th, 2009!

I'm particularly writing to invite Boston locals to our SFD event
(http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/Boston_Software_Freedom_Day) Boston SFD will
be a day-long public event focused on celebrating software freedom. Last
year we had an awesome event in Boston at Encuentro 5 in Chinatown
(http://www.encuentro5.org/home/) and we'll be returning there this
year.

The festivities start at 10am and we'll finish at about 5:00p. I hope
you can join us because Walter Bender, the founder and executive
director of Sugar Labs, is our featured speaker. He'll be talking about
"Turtle Art," the free software platform that's part of the Sugar
operating system. It started shipping on the OLPC in 2007 and is
intended as stepping stone to LOGO for kids.

Our campaigns team will be on hand to share the latest news about the
Windows 7 Sins campaign (http://windows7sins.org/), our anti-DRM
campaign Defective By Design (http://defectivebydesign.org/), the
struggle for free video formats (http://playogg) and our work to stop
software patents (http://endsoftpatents.org/). Plus, if Richard
Stallman's flight back to the US isn't delayed, he hopes to make an
appearance and have a chat.

We'll be asking folks to participate in video documentary of this year's
festivities. We're hosting workshops on freeing your smartphone and free
website building, so you may want to bring your phone or your laptop or
both! Lunch is provided by us and lightning talks are provided by you.

Software Freedom Day
September 19th, 10am-5pm
at Encuentro 5
33 Harrison Ave, floor 5, Boston, MA 02111

Feel free to contact address@hidden with questions or to RSVP to the
Boston event, thanks!
Cheers,
Deborah