info-member

FSF Members Meeting 2007: "Year of the Upgrade"

From: Jeanne Rasata
Subject: FSF Members Meeting 2007: "Year of the Upgrade"
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:07:02 -0400

Dear Members,

Spring is upon us!  And in the spirit of renewal and regeneration, we
look forward to discussing with you the Free Software Foundation's
future projects and campaigns a week from this Saturday, on March 24th,
2007.

We have updated the schedule. Please, note the more recent changes,
which are that:

- the room number has changed and we will be meeting in room 3-270
http://student.mit.edu/roominv/roominv.cgi#3-270 in building 3
http://whereis.mit.edu/map-jpg?selection=3&Buildings=go of the MIT
campus http://whereis.mit.edu/map-jpg?section=directions.

- FSF Director Gerald J Sussman, Professor of Mechanical Engineering at
MIT, will be giving a talk on both his recent work and developments in
"Robust Design".

- that we will be ending this year's meeting with the Annual Free
Software Awards Ceremony. We will be honoring special guests in
attendance with the Free Software Award for the Advancement of Free
Software and the Free Software Award for Projects of Social Benefit.

- we plan to have a mini-rockbox installfest during the lunch period.
Rockbox is free software to replace the proprietary software on your
iPod or other music device so, please, bring them if you have one.

- if you can't attend, please, send any questions that you would like
put to FSF leadership or have discussed during the members forum session
to address@hidden  Alternatively, please, add comments on the
members forum discussion at http://www.fsf.org/associate/forum/general/.

The schedule is as follows:

09:15-10:00 Breakfast, registration, and pgp key signing
10:00-10:25 Peter Brown, Executive Director - "Libre Planet"
10:25-10:50 John Sullivan, Program Administrator -"BadVista and the
Campaign for Free Software Adoption"
10:50-11:05 Justin Baugh, Senior System Administrator - "Hardware Free
from Restrictions"
11:05-11:20 Joshua Ginsberg, Senior System Administrator - "FSF Systems
Administration"
11:20-11:35 Break
11:35-12:10 Brett Smith, Licensing Engineer - "Compliance and GPLv3"
12:10-12:50 Richard Stallman, President - "Software Patents"
12:50-13:50 Lunch and mini-rockbox installfast
13:50-14:40 Gerald Sussman, Director - "Robust Design"
14:40-15:20 Eben Moglen, General Counsel - "After GPLv3"
15:20-16:00 Board members panel and Q&A - "Year of the Upgrade"
16:00-16:15 Break
16:15-17:30 Members Forum - including a presentation by Mako Hill on
"Defining Free Culture"
17:30-17:50 Free Software Awards Ceremony

Please, RSVP to address@hidden is you wish to attend.  There is no
cost for attendance.

Once again, we are also organizing a dinner to follow the meeting at
The Middle East <http://www.mideastclub.com> in Cambridge, MA. The cost
for this is $25 per person.  (Drinks are extra.)  You can pay for the
dinner online at http://www.fsf.org/associate/meetings/2007.

We look forward to seeing you there!

Sincerely,
Jeanne Rasata