info-gnus-english

Re: Gnus fetch freezes emacs

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: Gnus fetch freezes emacs
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2023 13:31:15 +0200

On Mon, 03 Jul 2023 09:36:26 -0700 Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
wrote:

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> On Sunday,  2 Jul 2023 at 16:59, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>>> If everyone's hitting this with NNTP servers, you can set
>>> `nntp-connection-timeout' to a number of seconds. It is nil by default,
>>> which I guess would result in permanent hangs.

Is this variable supposed to be set in the value of gnus-select-method?
For example, like this:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.gmane.io"
                                (nntp-connection-timeout 3)))

>> So this works, in the sense that it stops me waiting forever... However,
>> it seems (early days yet) that when it fails to open the connection to
>> an NNTP server, it stops retrieving news and I have to hit 'g' again to
>> get the counts etc. updated for other servers. [...]

That sounds basically like what the function I'm using in place of
gnus-group-get-new-news (see my first post in this thread) does.  Could
such a function take effect if added to one of the server hook variables
nntp-server-opened-hook, nntp-server-action-alist or
nntp-open-connection-function?  From the descriptions in the manual it
isn't clear to me.  Or is there some better Gnus hook variable for this
purpose?  If not could one be added?

> Yeah, I'd put in a dumb fix for this that turned out to be buggy, so we
> just recently reverted it. I have a more thorough fix in progress
> somewhere here, that would report a server connection failure without
> interrupting the rest of the servers, but it's not done yet. I've had
> very little time for coding recently, but will get to it At Some Point.
>
> Glad it's at least better than it was. I wonder if we should have some
> generous timeout set by default...

It might make sense to continue this discussion in bug#52735.

Steve Berman