info-gnus-english

Re: Strip signature on reply without standard separator

From: Satoshi Yoshida
Subject: Re: Strip signature on reply without standard separator
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 12:32:13 +0900

Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:

> 1) Always use lexical/static scope, i.e. put
>
> ;;; -*- lexical-binding: t -*-
>
> first in all and every new Elisp file you create.
>
> 2) In this case, since there is a formal parameter with the
> same name, `setq' does not create a global variable.
>
>   (defun strip-signature (re &optional rep)
>     (or rep (setq rep ""))
>     ;; ...
>
> This is OK. Only if you misspell "rep" to something that isn't
> rep (or re) a global variable will be created :)

I understand. As for me, putting ";;; -*- lexical-binding: t -*-" is
difficult. Because the file (.gnus.el or .emacs) isn't new. It consists
of my code and the other parts that already exists. If I (or someone) put
";;; -*- lexical-binding: t -*-", the other parts will be influenced too.

So I want to leave my code as it is. Thank you anyway.

--
Satoshi Yoshida