info-gnus-english

Re: gnus-search-engine set to gnus-search-notmuch and refer threads

From: Andrew Cohen
Subject: Re: gnus-search-engine set to gnus-search-notmuch and refer threads
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 08:07:04 +0800

    EA> "Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <jao@gnu.org> writes:

[...]

    EA>  - The search result filtration now won't filter on group names
    EA> if the search is a thread search. This should resolve the issue
    EA> you were seeing where "A T" would only search within the group
    EA> you had searched in to begin with. I guess I think that an
    EA> explicit thread search by the user should result in a full scan
    EA> of the server. We can see if that surprises/annoys anyone,
    EA> though.

Umm, maybe I am misunderstanding this paragraph, but there is a variable
for explicit control of this:

(defcustom gnus-refer-thread-use-search nil
  "Search an entire server when referring threads.
A nil value will only search for thread-related articles in the
current group."
  :version "28.1"
  :group 'gnus-thread
  :type 'boolean)

I usually expect a full server search but not always. Hence this
variable. I hope that the methods will respect it so that the user can
control the result. Of course if some method is incapable of doing both
kinds of searches then there would be no choice.

Now that I am sending this, perhaps the original bug resulted from the
default nil value for this variable?

--
Andrew Cohen