info-gnus-english

Re: possible bug? gnus in emacs 27; error in hash-table-p

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: possible bug? gnus in emacs 27; error in hash-table-p
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 08:35:09 -0700

physiculus <physiculus@gmail.com> writes:

>> Oops, sorry, I should have seen that coming. Would you test instead:
>>
>> (add-hook 'gnus-read-newsrc-el-hook #'gnus-group-split-update)
>>
>> That seems to be the only place to run after the groups have been read,
>> but before unread messages are fetched for the first time.
>>
>> Eric
>
> Wonderful! Now it works.
> Thank you for the help.
>
> One thing i do not understand:
> As far as i read, your lines switch splitting to fancy-splitting,
> right?
> If so, splitting rules have to be in splitting-rule syntax (i read it in
> the manual) and should be inside the server.
> But i didn't change any of my rules and gnus is splitting.
> The rules are outside the server.
> Why is it working?

The only question harder to answer than "Why isn't it working?" is "Why
IS it working?" :)

Your imap servers have a nnimap-split-methods value of 'default, which
means each one will use the value of nnmail-split-methods.
nnmail-split-methods is set to the symbol 'nnmail-split-fancy, so all
servers should use the value of that variable.

The gnus-group-split-update function sets nnmail-split-fancy to a split
made from group parameters.

In your config, you've got nnmail-split-methods set to an actual split.
But when gnus-group-split-update runs, it should completely override
that config with a split made from group parameters.

So my question is: have you set to-list/to-address parameters on your
groups? Because if you haven't, I don't know how any splitting is
happening. Can you show the value of nnmail-split-fancy after Gnus is
done starting up?

> Is it better, to put it inside the server?

If you want different rules for different servers, then put the rules in
the individual servers. If you want the same rules for everything, then
you can just set global values.