info-gnus-english

Re: possible bug? gnus in emacs 27; error in hash-table-p

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: possible bug? gnus in emacs 27; error in hash-table-p
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2019 12:01:26 -0700

paul poulsen <physiculus@gmail.com> writes:

>> Okay, I see that the Gnus manual tells users to put this call directly
>> in their gnus.el files, so your config here has no problems. The problem
>> is in how the function does the update -- it should probably be delayed
>> until Gnus has been started up. I'm going to file this as a bug, with a
>> proposed solution, and hopefully we'll have this sorted out soon.
>>
>> Thanks for the report,
>> Eric
>
> Thanks a lot!
> Do you communicate the solution here?

Not only that, I'll ask you to test it first! :)

> PS: Until now i'm not able to switch my splitting to fancy-splitting.
> Is it possible, that this problem is related?

It could be. First of all, you're trying to do splitting with imap,
right?

The first call to `gnus-group-split-update' would fail in your case, but
you also passed the AUTO-UPDATE flag, so it should be getting called
again afterwards, each time you get new mail.

On the other hand, with auto-update, the function is added to the
`nnmail-pre-get-new-mail-hook', which is run for all backends that
support splitting *except* nnimap, which doesn't call
`nnmail-get-new-mail', but calls `nnmail-split-incoming' directly.

So it probably wouldn't work for nnimap no matter what. I'm just
thinking out loud here.

Let's do this the other way: would you remove this line from your gnus.el
file:

(gnus-group-split-setup t)

And replace it with these two lines:

(setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)
(add-hook 'gnus-startup-hook #'gnus-group-split-update)

And see if that gets fancy splitting working in Gnus? Then we can go
backwards from there.

Thanks,
Eric