info-gnu

wdiff 1.0.0 released

From: Martin von Gagern
Subject: wdiff 1.0.0 released
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 15:26:12 +0200

Dear reader,

I'm happy to announce the next release of wdiff. This release is
numbered 1.0.0 in order to reflect the fact that the code has been
around for a long time and is therefore considered quite mature. So
consider this change not so much as a radical program improvement of
some kind, but rather a fix to the fact that some people tend to take a
major version number of zero as an indication of immature software.
Although the NEWS entry for this release is a bit longer than for some
past releases, in terms of features and bug fixes it might as well have
been called 0.6.6.

So what has changed? As user noticeable changes we have updated
translations for Updated Dutch, French, Danish and Slovenian as well as
a completely new translation file for Ukrainian thanks to Yuri
Chornoivan. The code will now give more useful results in case the diff
program either cannot be executed or fails for some reason.

Build time improvements include an update of our gnulib imports as well
as an extension of the test suite. On the source code level, ther ewas
some cleaning up, slightly improved portability with respect to file
descriptor duplication, and a unification of coding style accomplished
through indent.

You can get the latest copy from http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/wdiff/ or a
GNU mirror of your choice.

https://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=6933 is the official
location of the release announcement, in case you want a URL to cite.

GNU wdiff is a front end to diff for comparing files on a word per word
basis. A word is anything between whitespace. This is useful for
comparing two texts in which a few words have been changed and for which
paragraphs have been refilled. It works by creating two temporary files,
one word per line, and then executes diff on these files. It collects
the diff output and uses it to produce a nicer display of word
differences between the original files.

Greetings,
 Martin von Gagern