info-gnu

GNU Source-highlight 2.1

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: GNU Source-highlight 2.1
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 09:39:34 +0200

GNU Source-highlight 2.1 has been released.  It is available from
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/src-highlite/ and mirrors of that site (see
list of mirror sites at http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html).

GNU Source-highlight, given a source file, produces a document with
syntax highlighting.

At the moment this package can handle

C/C++
bison
caml
changelog
flex
fortran
html
java
javascript
log files
lua
sml
pascal
perl
php
prolog
python
ruby
LaTeX (new)
logtalk (new)

as source languages, and

     HTML
     XHTML
     ANSI color escape sequences
     LaTeX (new)
     Texinfo (new)

as output format.

The huge novelty is that output format specifications are read at run-time, so that new output formats can be easily added dynamically (without recompiling the sources) by using a simple syntax.

Source-highlight depends on the Boost regex library (http://www.boost.org/) so you need to install this library (boost libraries are usually shipped with most distributions).

Here's, for instance, the definition of HTML output format

----------------  html_common.lang  ------------------------------
extension "html"

bold "<b>$text</b>"
italics "<i>$text</i>"
underline "<u>$text</u>"
color "<font color=\"$style\">$text</font>"
anchor "<a name=\"$style\">$text</a>"

colormap
"green" "#33CC00"
"red" "#FF0000"
"darkred" "#990000"
"blue" "#0000FF"
"brown" "#9A1900"
"pink" "#CC33CC"
"yellow" "#FFCC00"
"cyan" "#66FFFF"
"purple" "#993399"
"orange" "#FF6600"
"brightorange" "#FF9900"
"brightgreen" "#33FF33"
"darkgreen" "#009900"
"black" "#000000"
"teal" "#008080"
"gray" "#808080"
"darkblue" "#000080"
default "#000000"
end

translations
"&" "&amp;"
"<" "&lt;"
">" "&gt;"
end

Version 2.1

   * Included obsolete man page.
   * output language format specifications are read at run-time
     so that new output languages can be easily added dynamically
     (without recompiling the sources) by using a simple syntax.
   * "fixed" and "notfixed" styles can be specified.
   * fixed the handling of end-of-line (processed only once)
   * LaTeX output
   * TeXinfo output
   * debug of a language definition
   * tags.j2h files are now called style files.
   * renamed --tags-file option in --style-file
   * allows to specify a prefix for the generated line number anchors
   * --header and --footer do not imply --doc
   * language definition for LogTalk and LaTeX

I'd really appreciate some feedback! :-)

In the texinfo manual the syntax for output format definition is explained.

Visit the Source-highlight home page at
http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite

Anonymous CVS access is also available.  Please visit
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/src-highlite/
where you can find detailed descriptions of how to access the CVS
(read-only).  Release-candidate versions are available
through CVS.

Bug reports should go to address@hidden

The following mailing lists are available:

    * address@hidden, for generic discussions about the
program and for asking for help about it (open mailing list),
http://mail.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-source-highlight
    * address@hidden, for receiving information about
new releases and features (read-only mailing list),
http://mail.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/info-source-highlight

if you want to subscribe to a mailing list just go to the URL and follow
the instructions, or send me an e-mail and I'll subscribe you.

cheers
        Lorenzo

|  Lorenzo Bettini          ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     |
|  PhD in Computer Science                            |
|  Dip. Sistemi e Informatica, Univ. di Firenze       |
|  Florence - Italy        (GNU/Linux User # 158233)  |
|  Home Page        : http://www.lorenzobettini.it    |
|  http://music.dsi.unifi.it         XKlaim language  |
|  http://www.lorenzobettini.it/purple    Cover Band  |
|  http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite           |