info-gnu

FREE 1.7 is now available!

From: Jason Kitcat
Subject: FREE 1.7 is now available!
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 19:43:48 +0100

Hi all,

We are pleased to announce the release of GNU.FREE version 1.7 which offers the following new features:

+ Communications level encryption of all data transmitted using an RSA/Blowfish system. + Some protocol bugs have been fixed, including improving the coverage of the MAC. + File imports give users significantly more information when a problem is encountered. + The Electoral Roll database now stores more information, making it relevant beyond just GNU.FREE usage. +The new PollManager application is included. This allows polling station mangers to use GNU.FREE services in a ballot even if it uses postal and conventional voting systems (or a mix thereof).

Of course some niggly bugs have been fixed too, including the spurious time-out messages some of you have experienced.

It's been tested, it's been debugged, it's ready on our download page....
http://www.free-project.org/download/

Coming soon:
+ More protocol improvements
+ XMLifying GNU.FREE
+ More interface updates

All the best,
Jason

--

+++ The FREE e-democracy project aims to create secure, private, scalable and reliable non-partisan Internet Voting software protected by the GNU GPL. This software is GNU.FREE and is written in Java.

+++ Additionally the project advocates the Free Software paradigm and is supported by the Free Software Foundation as part of their GNU project.

+++ We evangelise the use of technology to strengthen democracy within a holistic understanding of the current democratic malaise which is highlighted by trends such as falling voter turnout.

This email is (c)2001 the FREE e-democracy project (http://www.free-project.org). Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire email is permitted in any medium, provided this notice is preserved.