info-gnu-emacs

Re: How can I use emacs on my pc-windows?

From: Josef 'Jupp' Schugt
Subject: Re: How can I use emacs on my pc-windows?
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 00:39:05 +0100

* @ the Genius® @, 12/02/2006 04:52 AM:
> How can I use emacs on my pc-windows?

Why don't you run an ssh client like putty, log in to your university
account and then run emacs there? In this case the best you can do is
running emacs inside a "GNU screen" session. When you log out from
the machine at university emacs stays connected to screen that for
Emacs looks like an ordinary terminal. At home you log in using
putty, re-attach the screen session to this terminal and can continue
to work at precisely the point you were at. Using screen also has the
advantage that Emacs is not interrupted when your home machine
happens to be force-deconnected (which is sth. many providers do at
least once a day). Simply re-connect, re-attach and go on with your
work. I happen to know a guy who uses text tools as much as possible.
All the tools run inside a GNU screen session. He can continue his
work from any place on this planet which has an Internet connection
and an SSH client. Which he actually does very frequently.

Jupp