single-minded

From: Bess Webster
Subject: single-minded
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 19:05:28 -0500

He changed his mind then, Liams wife said. Over the place hung the rabid air of agambling-table .
He was a young man when he went to the valley, nearly forty yearsago. Wars the law of the system, Coyle had told him.
A hundred quid for those fancy horses and he did poor Jack Berryout of half a dollar!
Liam ran into the street with his axe-handle raised. Ill pay you fifteen bob a hundred for to-days lot andperhaps youll have a bit of care in future. Im not frightened of anything, James boasted.
Wedsoon run the squatters and bosses out the country.
Half an hour later tenhorsemen left the Travellers Rest in the same direction.
But Berry flared up against Coyles entranced gaze watching himclosely.
So weve got to drive the English right out of here anddo it our way. Aint you goin to the gold rush, Mr Cabell? He was an overseer where my old man was alag.
My ultimate colonial experience without a doubt, Shaftoechuckled, but not to-night, Josephine. Herprecocious eyes glittered against her hollow face with its highcheekbones and wide mouth. He dug holes allover the place and never discovered anything worth twopence. The stink of the jailyards on everything you say.
You shouldvebeen down the Eureka like I was. With sadfatalistic faces they trotted on as though entranced by anapproaching doom.
Berry rubbed his hands, soft from working in the greasy wool,together. Now he was sorry forthe way he had behaved about the chestnut. Well get a summons for wrongful dismissal. Hesgettin older n weaker and the younguns gettin older nstronger.
He said there wasnt no gold, Teresa said.
His old man was atrouble-maker and a convict. You take it to law and see ifits not right. Theres getting too many dagoes and new-chums in this country,thats a cert, Wagner admitted. Wait tillthey bring in a few more Chows and kanakas and immigrants to cutdown your cheques.
Towhich the Scotchman retorted by singing Boyne Water in a notelessvoice of quavering fury. Have acare or Ill take a patch out of YOUR hide. It had been a good season and he had boughtHarriet a present. Half an hour later tenhorsemen left the Travellers Rest in the same direction. His ginger side-levers bristled in the dawnlike the attenuated pale flames of righteousness. What adickens of a life for Albert Brighthurst Shaftoe, fifth son ofBrighthurst Shaftoe, Bart.