Re [18]:

From: Michael Johnson
Subject: Re [18]:
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 18:49:25 -0900

For the last time, he hoped. He saw Annie Wilkes in a long aproned dress, her hair covered with a mobcap, an Annie who looked like a nurse in Londons Bedlam Hospital.

"He tried to shift his legs. It came in different wrappers, but it always boiled down to the same thing: I remember getting into the car, and I remember waking up here. He apparently stumbled over a pile of loose clothing, which had been left on the stairs earlier, while on his way down to answer the phone. It turned on an outside light, which came in handy - the last of the daylight had drained away during the time since he had left his room.

This by itself would not have put him in a state of near-terror - but he remembered coming to Calthorpe Manor the day after Miserys death. "She threw the pills at him.

He saw Annie Wilkes in a long aproned dress, her hair covered with a mobcap, an Annie who looked like a nurse in Londons Bedlam Hospital. He apparently stumbled over a pile of loose clothing, which had been left on the stairs earlier, while on his way down to answer the phone.