Re: [igraph] Write Graph with Attributes

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] Write Graph with Attributes
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 23:04:26 +0200

Dear Peng,

The Pajek format is a bit problematic as there exists no formal specification for it so we don't know what is the "official" way to store any arbitrary vertex or edge attributes in this format.

To complicate matters further, the Pajek file also contains visualization-related data (e.g. vertex color, font size, edge widths etc). igraph_read_graph_pajek() processes these and then converts them to vertex / edge attributes with more meaningful names; see this page for more details:

https://igraph.org/c/doc/igraph-Foreign.html#igraph_read_graph_pajek

igraph_write_graph_pajek() recognizes these attributes only and converts them back to the appropriate fields in the Pajek output.

If storing vertex / edge attributes is important to you, I advise you to use a more formalized graph format such as GraphML if that's possible in your project.

All the best,
T.