[igraph] what does the knn() function do with weighted graphs?

From: Szabolcs Horvát
Subject: [igraph] what does the knn() function do with weighted graphs?
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 20:32:19 +0200

Hello,

I am having some trouble understanding what the
igraph_avg_nearest_neighbor_degree() function does with weights.  This
function is called knn() in R.

I thought that it simply computed the average strengths of a vertex's
neighbours. But this does not seem to be the case.

Let's make a 3-ring with edge weights 1,2,3:

g<-make_ring(3)
E(g)$weight <- c(1,2,3)

The strengths are 4, 3, 5, as I expected:

> strength(g)
[1] 4 3 5

knn() gives the following result:

> knn(g)
$knn
[1] 2.0 3.0 1.4

I would have expected this to be (3+5)/2 = 4, (4+5)/2 = 4.5, and
(4+3)/2 = 3.5 for the three vertices, as each of them have two
neighbours.

What am I misunderstanding?

The documentation says,

"Calculate the average nearest neighbor degree of the given vertices"

and

"If the graph has a weight edge attribute, then this is used by
default. If this argument is given, then vertex strength (see
strength) is used instead of vertex degree."

Szabolcs