Re: [igraph] Why are unconnected subgraphs not considered by motif count

From: Gábor Csárdi
Subject: Re: [igraph] Why are unconnected subgraphs not considered by motif counting functions?
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 08:21:21 -0400

I cannot recall what the actual reason was, but one possible
explanation is that even for moderately sized graphs, if they are
sparse, you have a lot of those "motifs", more than what you can count
in an 'int'.

Btw. triad_census gives you the count for those "motifs" as well, and
it already overflows for a ring with 10000 vertices and edges:

triad_census(make_ring(10, directed = TRUE))
#>  [1] 50 60  0  0  0 10  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0
triad_census(make_ring(10000, directed = TRUE))
#>  [1] -271196661   99960000          0          0          0      10000
#>  [7]          0          0          0          0          0          0
#> [13]          0          0          0          0

It does not even warn you, which is pretty bad, actually.....

Gabor