[igraph] On the generation of random directed graphs

From: Rossano Gaeta
Subject: [igraph] On the generation of random directed graphs
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 10:19:23 +0100

Dear all,

I need to generate instances of random directed graphs where both out and in degree distributions can be tuned (provided they have the same average values, of course). I think that the C function igraph_degree_sequence_game() could serve my purpose but can you suggest a robust and efficient algorithm for generating the content of the out_deg and in_deg vectors to provide as arguments to igraph_degree_sequence_game()? My question arises since the length and sum of out_deg and in_deg must match for directed graphs; a straightforward algorithm that samples from the two distributions and then checks for equality of sums might take too long to terminate.

Thank you in advance
Ciao
Rossano