[igraph] Memory-Efficient Graph Saving in Python

From: Nick Eubank
Subject: [igraph] Memory-Efficient Graph Saving in Python
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 06:58:26 +0000

Hi All,

Trying to save a large graph object using iGraph 0.7 in python 2.7. When I try to save my graph with the following command:

myGraph.save('graph.pkl', format = 'pickle')

my memory use explodes. I could be wrong, but I think the graph is being copied before being saved. The problem is that I have enough RAM for my graph, but not 2x the size of my graph, and so when this happens my computer starts hard-faulting and thrashing.

Is there a way to save my graph without it being duplicated in memory?

Thanks!

Nick