Re: [igraph] Community detection algorithm for (almost) full weighted gr

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] Community detection algorithm for (almost) full weighted graph
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 22:38:08 +0200

> In this topic? What is best criterio to consider if a network is dense or
> sparse? I think is not easy to identify this frontier!

The common agreement (at least in "network science") is that if the number of
edges is a (sub)linear function of the number of nodes in the network, then the
network is sparse, otherwise it is dense. Or, in other words, the average
degree of the network should stay roughly constant as the size of the network
grows to infinity if it is sparse. If you have a nearly complete graph (like
one constructed from a correlation matrix without any thresholding), then the
number of edges is roughly |V|^2 so it does not grow linearly if |V| increases,
therefore the graph is dense.