Re: [igraph] GraphML RuntimeWarning

From: Tamás Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] GraphML RuntimeWarning
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 10:57:01 +0200

You are correct, the warning originates from the C core and it is harmless. The
reason is as follows. <node> tags in GraphML have an id attribute. Users
generally expect this attribute to be imported into an igraph vertex attribute,
so we do that. However, when the GraphML file is saved, this vertex attribute
is also written into the file as an "ordinary" GraphML node attribute (not into
the <node> tag but as a separate <data> subtag). We cannot use the "id" vertex
attribute directly in the GraphML file as the ids of the <node> tags because
the uniqueness of the "id" vertex attribute in igraph is not guaranteed. So,
the saved file has both a <node id="..."> identifier for each vertex (used
within the file only) and an "id" attribute in a <data> subtag. That's why you
get this warning, but as I said, it is harmless. Actually, since it is causing
confusion, it might be a good idea to remove it from future releases. Any
thoughts?

T.