Re: [igraph] Creation of a random graph with high clustering coefficiant

From: Dov Pechenick
Subject: Re: [igraph] Creation of a random graph with high clustering coefficiant
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 13:05:40 -0500

Hi Jeff,

Perhaps there is a smarter way to do this, but I've found that a rewiring approach works well (though it can be slow) for a number of different network properties.  You first use the appropriate graph constructor to get a network with the desired degree distribution.  Then you can use the rewire function to swap a single pair of edges in a way that preserves the degree sequence.  After the swap, you check to see if average clustering coefficient is changed from before.  If it is greater than or equal to the previous value, you accept the change, otherwise you reject.

This approach is nice in that it can be generally applied to any network and any network property you are trying to maximize/minimize.  However, this also makes it naive and general in a way that may not suit you, and someone may know of a more specific way to construct a random graph that has a certain property of interest.  Either way, I hope this helps.

Dov