Re: [igraph] how to plot histogram in igraph-python

From: Tamás Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] how to plot histogram in igraph-python
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 11:13:42 +0200

Hi,

> I'm new to igraph-python. My problem is that after retrieving degree
> distribution by g.degree_distribution(), how can i plot it or write to a text
> file?
There are many ways to do this:

1. You can get a simple visual representation on the screen using ASCII
characters by printing the histogram:

>>> print graph.degree_distribution()

2. You can save the bins and counts of the histogram into a file by iterating
over its bins:

f = open("histogram.txt")
for left, right, count in graph.degree_distribution().bins():
    print >>f, left, right, count
f.close()

This will create a file with three columns; the first containing the left side
of the bin, the second containing the right side of the bin, the third
containing the number of nodes in the bin. For the degree distribution, you can
simply omit the second column.

3. If you have installed matplotlib and pylab, you can plot the bins using
pylab as follows:

xs, ys = zip(*[(left, count) for left, _, count in
graph.degree_distribution().bins()])
pylab.bar(xs, ys)
pylab.show()