Re: [igraph] Plotting graph on cairo surface in Python

From: Tamás Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] Plotting graph on cairo surface in Python
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 17:25:51 +0200

Hi Stephen,

The first catch is that igraph.plot() _constructs_ the plot itself (i.e. it
returns a Plot instance) but it does not draw it yet on the surface you
specified. This is probably an oversight on my side because igraph.plot() would
draw the graph if the target you specify is a string (i.e. a filename) or None
(meaning to plot the graph into a temporary file and show that). The workaround
for the time being is to do this:

plot = igraph.plot(g, surface, bbox=(width, height), layout=layout)
plot.redraw()

The next thing you should do is to ensure that the plot igraph will draw also
has a transparent background (it is white by default):

plot = igraph.plot(g, surface, bbox=(width, height), layout=layout)

plot.background = None
plot.redraw()

This should do the trick. As igraph 0.6 has just been released, I cannot fix
the bug with igraph.plot in the 0.6 branch, but I will make sure that 0.7 does
not have this bug.