[igraph] high-'power' bug (?) in barabasi.game

From: jabrunso
Subject: [igraph] high-'power' bug (?) in barabasi.game
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 15:29:40 -0400

I am trying to construct graphs using barabasi.game that form a single connected component, which i thought from the construction algorithm would be automatic. However, some examples have been disconnected.

Playing with the parameters suggests that the problem only occurs when my 'power' values are high, but i don't see why this should be a problem. In each case the graph becomes a pair of stars with one loop at one of the hubs. Here are some examples:

g <- barabasi.game(n = 32, power = 125, m = 1)
is.connected(g)
[1] TRUE
g <- barabasi.game(n = 32, power = 250, m = 1)
is.connected(g)
[1] FALSE
g <- barabasi.game(n = 16, power = 250, m = 1)
is.connected(g)
[1] TRUE
g <- barabasi.game(n = 16, power = 500, m = 1)
is.connected(g)
[1] FALSE

Thanks for any help!

Cory