Re: [igraph] Help about position of vertices in a network plot

From: Tamás Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] Help about position of vertices in a network plot
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 13:46:17 +0100

> I'm trying to draw a graph where the distance between vertices
> correspond to the edge weights. I know it is difficult to do, but I
> ask you if do you know any algorithm that minimizes the problems of
> this kind of plot. It would be so helpful if you could suggest it.

Multidimensional scaling is the algorithm you are looking for -- but it works
only if you can assign a distance to every pair of vertices, not just the
connected ones. See layout.mds in the R package. If you don't have a distance
for every pair of vertices, you can still approximate the distance matrix by
calculating the total weight of the shortest path between disconnected vertices.