[igraph] igraph degree( ) confusion

From: Robinson, David G
Subject: [igraph] igraph degree( ) confusion
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 22:48:31 +0000

I have an N x 2 table of integers called games[ , ]. The table of
nodes/edges is converted to a graph:

net <- graph.data.frame(as.data.frame(games), directed=FALSE)
deg.net <- degree(net, mode='total', loops=FALSE)

(I realize that not all options are necessary.)

The problem I am having is that the degree distribution seems to be for
in-degree only. For example, the games file has the lines:
103 86
24 103
103 2
92 103
87 103
103 101
103 44

and yet igraph indicates that the degree for node 103 is '3' when it
should be '7'.
Any insight in what I am missing would be appreciated.