[igraph] Asking for advice about Igrafh resources applied to the analysi

From: Carlos Eduardo
Subject: [igraph] Asking for advice about Igrafh resources applied to the analysis of a network
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 11:31:40 -0200

Hello,

I am dealing with three relation sets of the same actors I will explain ahead. Considering Igraph resources/tools, I am asking for advice about which could be applied to improve this network analysis (actually, I have one objective question, but further advice will be welcome).

Follow attached the image of these networks; the different node size is related to the real size of the actors which are corporations.

For each set I measured (1) density and (2) correlation between degree and size:

a) Competition Network: the actors mentioned who are their competitors.

Density: 0.48

Correlation degree x size: 0.54 (p-value = 0.01)

b) Acting Network: the actors mentioned they know each other and exchange some general resources or information.

Density: 0.40

Correlation degree x size: 0.76 (p-value = 5.2)

c) Cooperation Network: the actors mentioned they effectively cooperate with each other in a “real” network structure.

Density: 0.19

Correlation degree x size: 0.45 (p-value = 0.03)

Considering correlation “degree x size”, it seems that in competition and cooperation networks, with moderate intensity, the bigger the actor, the bigger the likelihood of the competition and cooperation behaviour.

Considering density, it’s is clear that relations of competition are bigger than the others. Besides, it is suggestive that much of the cooperation network relations exist inside the other networks. I could see (not actually calculate) that even being competitors, same actors “acting” or “cooperating” with each other (e.g. there are relations between actors B and T along the three networks). So, is there any measure that shows what is the amount of these same actors who relations are (remain the same) in the different networks?

As I told before, besides this question, any further advice/suggestion of analysis using Igraph resources will be welcome!

Many thanks in advance,

Cadu