Re: [igraph] fitting a straight line to power-law distribution

From: Fabio Daolio
Subject: Re: [igraph] fitting a straight line to power-law distribution
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 11:42:01 +0200

Hi Narcis,

that is because, if I got it right, when a probability density function p(x) is
power-law
with an exponent alpha, i.e. p(x)~x^(-alpha),
then its complementary cumulative distribution function is also power-law (just
do
the integration from x to infinity) but with exponent -alpha+1, i.e.
P(x)~x^(-alpha+1)

On that note, I've been pointed out to a good paper about fitting empirical data
http://arxiv.org/abs/0706.1062

Sincerely,
--
Fabio