Re: [igraph] proposal for another "game" (random network generator)

From: Minh Nguyen
Subject: Re: [igraph] proposal for another "game" (random network generator)
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 23:01:11 +1000

Hi Samuel,

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 10:40 PM, Samuel Thiriot
<address@hidden> wrote:
> in the first case, what is the process for contributing
> to igraph ?

Short answer: You could just open a bug report at [1] and post your
patch with your report. One of the core developers would then take a
look and integrate your patch into igraph trunk [2].

Longer answer: Get an account on Launchpad. Register a branch of
igraph trunk; see [3] for existing public branches of igraph. Work on
your enhancements in your own branch. When your enhancements are ready
for merging, push your code to your branch on Launchpad and then
propose a merge (there should be a merge button somewhere on the page
of your branch). A core developer would then look through your
proposed changes and integrate them when ready. When working on your
own branch, there are also details about documentation for your new
code as well as a test suite for your code. See this thread [4] for
some discussion on documentation and test suite.

> (I don't care about licensing nor having my name anywhere,
> actually).

You need to be aware that code that goes into igraph is licensed under
the GNU GPLv2+. Any new files you contribute to igraph should be
licensed accordingly. I think having your name on any new files you
contribute to igraph provides a way to acknowledge your contribution.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/igraph

[2] https://code.launchpad.net/~igraph/igraph/0.6-main

[3] https://code.launchpad.net/igraph

[4] https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/igraph-help/2011-05/msg00000.html