Re: [igraph] generate powere law graph with a given power exponent

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] generate powere law graph with a given power exponent
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 15:01:14 +0200

Dear Franck,

> I just start to use igraph now. I have a question:
>
> How to generate power law graph with a given power exponent?
First, please submit such requests to the igraph-help mailing list
(address@hidden).
Second, please always mention whether you are working with igraph from C,
from Python or from R, because the answer usually depends on this.
Third, you should generate a list of vertex degrees that follows your
desired power-law distribution (e.g., Yule-Simon distribution or a zeta
distribution), and then you can use igraph_degree_sequence_game (from C),
Graph.Degree_Sequence (from Python) or degree.sequence.game (from R) to
generate a graph with exactly this degree distribution (assuming that the
sum of degrees is even of course). The degree sequence generation is your
responsibility, it is not implemented in igraph.