[igraph] integrating new C files into igraph

From: Minh Nguyen
Subject: [igraph] integrating new C files into igraph
Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 18:29:25 +1000

Hi folks,

I'm working on a new C module that, when it is in good enough shape, I
would like to push to the igraph mainline tree. (I'll try not to dump
a patch bomb when the module is ready, but would do incremental
contributions instead.) What I don't understand is the process whereby
I could incrementally integrate new C files in this module with my
local igraph tree. To concretize my question, consider this patch [1]
which is based on igraph trunk revision #2428. The patch provides a
skeleton of a new C module with only documentation for one function:

* The patch creates the following new files:
include/igraph_microscopic_update.h and src/microscopic_update.c
* It patches the following file: include/igraph_constants.h

I have written API documentation for the only one function in
src/microscopic_update.c.

(1) Now what steps do I take in order to get the igraph documentation
builder to also build the documentation in src/microscopic_update.c?
For example, when I build the documentation with release.sh, I also
want the documentation in src/microscopic_update.c parsed and output
to a HTML file as per other C modules in igraph.

(2) The same question goes for a new example usage file I want to
create called, say, examples/simple/my_new_example.c. That is, what do
I need to do in order to get the igraph documentation builder to input
the examples in examples/simple/my_new_example.c into the generated
documentation for src/microscopic_update.c?

(3) Suppose I have fleshed out the body of the one function in
src/microscopic_update.c and the test suite for this function is
provided in examples/simple/my_new_example.c. What steps do I need to
take in order to integrate the examples in
examples/simple/my_new_example.c into the igraph test suite? That is,
what do I need to do so that when I issue the following commands:

$ cd tests
$ ./testsuite

the test suite in examples/simple/my_new_example.c would be executed?

[1] http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/mvngu/patch/microscopic_update.diff

--
Regards
Minh Van Nguyen