Re: [igraph] Question about finding power in a scale-free graph

From: Tamás Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] Question about finding power in a scale-free graph
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 13:21:12 +0100

> I get an alpha = 2.8 , which is different from the power I used in building
> the graph. Does anyone have any explanation for this?
The power argument does not specify the alpha exponent of the degree
distribution; it specifies the exponent used when igraph determines the
attachment probabilities after a new vertex is added. power=1 corresponds to
linear preferential attachment, which should indeed correspond to alpha = 3 in
the infinite limit, so the value of 2.8 you get seems to be correct.