Re: [igraph] igraph trough Rcpp

From: Gábor Csárdi
Subject: Re: [igraph] igraph trough Rcpp
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 22:57:56 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Juan Ignacio Perotti <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello, this is my first time on a mailing list (sorry if I don't match the
> standars).
> I'm not an expert, but as I can see in the igraph R package there are 3
> layers:
> i. the standard C igraph library (independent of R)
> ii. the set of wrapper R functions
> iii. another layer of C code that interfaces between i. and ii.
> If I'm not wrong, the layer iii. is not developed trough the usage of
> Rcpp (see http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/Rcpp/index.html).
> It may be nice to "rewrite" iii. (and maybe ii.) in the Rcpp way. To do that
> will
> allow easier the writing of fast implementations of critical algorithms that
> eventually will be called from R. Also, I think that it will make more
> understandable and easier the usage of the igraph library.
> Is it possible? It will demand to much work or dificulties?

I don't know Rcpp much, I am not sure it is possible, and if it is
possible, it is surely a lot of work.

Writing layer ii and layer iii as you call it, is not a big issue, it
is just a small part of the work. We have an in-house code generator
for simple wrapper functions, and the more difficult functions that
provide better R interfaces we need to write by hand anyway.

Best Regards,
Gabor