Re: [igraph] installation error with igraph 0.5.3 on ubuntu 10.04 LTS

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] installation error with igraph 0.5.3 on ubuntu 10.04 LTS
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 13:19:11 +0100

>    1. the ./configure process was successful.
Good.

>    2. when I tried to make,the content displayed was as follows:
Which was perfectly fine as well.

> 3. I ignored the content above and continued to "make install", then the
> errors occurred, and displayed as follows: [...]
> /usr/bin/install:cannot creat regular file
> '/usr/local/lib/libigraph.so.0.0.0': Permission denied
Which is expected if you try to install igraph to a location like
/usr/local/lib for which you don't have write permissions. You will have to
obtain administrator privileges temporarily in order to write anything into
/usr/local/lib, so try "sudo make install".

By the way, we have pre-compiled packages for Ubuntu Karmic (9.10), but these
work perfectly fine for 10.04 as well. Please follow the instructions here
(these are for the Python bindings for igraph, but those also install the C
core itself):

http://igraph.wikidot.com/installing-python-igraph-on-linux#toc1