Re: [igraph] vertex alternative to edge.betweenness.community

From: Gábor Csárdi
Subject: Re: [igraph] vertex alternative to edge.betweenness.community
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 12:39:51 +0200

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 11:58 AM, Martin Tomko <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Gabor,
> yes, exactly. And the removed vertices would be, in my domain of
> investigation, be considered shared between the two communities,

It is not necessarily two communities. Removing a single vertex gives
you arbitrarily many communities. (Between zero and the number of
vertices minus one.) And you will need to keep the "internal" edges
between the removed vertex and the other vertices in the community, I
guess.

But in general it seems to make sense. I think it is not hard to put
together a rough prototype in R or Python, basically you'll only need
the betweenness() and subgraph() functions, maybe delete.edges() as
well.

> and
> therefore not interesting. They could be labelled by a tuple of communities,
> or the step when they would be removed.
> Cheers
> Martin
>
> On 8/20/2010 11:42 AM, Gábor Csárdi wrote:
>>
>> Martin,
>>
>> how would that be defined? To find the communities we iteratively
>> remove the edges with the highest betweenness. You want to remove
>> vertices instead? In which community do the removed vertices belong?
>>
>> Best,
>> Gabor
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 5:26 PM, Martin Tomko<address@hidden>
>>  wrote:
>>

>>> Hi guys,
>>> is there a vertex based alternative to the edge.betweenness.community
>>> funciton?
>>> Cheers

--
Gabor Csardi <address@hidden>     UNIL DGM