[igraph] Minimizing Number of Crossing Links in Bipartite Network Plot

From: Lorenzo Isella
Subject: [igraph] Minimizing Number of Crossing Links in Bipartite Network Plot
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:27:16 +0200

Dear All,
I happened to ask something along these lines some time ago, so I am
just wondering if there is any news.
Suppose that you are given a bipartite graph (let us say that the nodes
are either blue or red).
This is what I would like to do: plot the graph placing the red nodes on
top, the blue nodes at the bottom and (here comes the tricky bit)
minimize the number of crossing links.
Maybe this is doable by resorting to some minimization method (probably
it all boils down to minimizing the total length of the links [meant
here as segments]), but I am sure somebody else must have had this
problem before me.
Is there any implementation of this method for igraph/R?
Many thanks

Lorenzo