Re: [igraph] degree sequence data type

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] degree sequence data type
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 14:24:16 +0000

> Frequently igraph uses vectors of reals rather than integers
> to store objects that are always integers. I wonder what the
> reason is?
Historical reasons. Originally we only had an igraph_vector_t data type
which was used both for integer and floating point vectors. Now we would
have had to break the API if we wanted to switch to igraph_vector_long_t
for those functions where it makes sense. Since most of the igraph users
use it from a higher level language (R, Python or Ruby), these intricate
details are completely invisible to them, and I personally think that
the disadvantages of breaking the API at this point outweigh the
benefits for the time being.