[igraph] Edge selection

From: Matthew Walker
Subject: [igraph] Edge selection
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:36:31 -0500

Hi,

I've been having a small problem with edge selection. I think there might be an issue with the use of the %->% operator when there are no edges that match the given specification. I think the following code shows this most clearly:

> library(igraph)
> g <- graph( c(0,1, 1,1, 1,2, 2,3, 3,1) )
Vertices: 4
Edges: 5
Directed: TRUE
Edges:
[0] 0 -> 1
[1] 1 -> 1
[2] 1 -> 2
[3] 2 -> 3
[4] 3 -> 1
> E(g) [ 0:1 %->% 2:3 ]
Edge sequence:
e e [2] 1 -> 2
> E(g) [ 0:1 %->% 3 ]
Edge sequence:
e e [] ->
Warning message:
In max(el) : no non-missing arguments to max; returning -Inf

However, the "empty edge selector" seems to be fairly functional nonetheless:

> E(g)$value <- 1:5
> E(g) [ 0:1 %->% 2 ]$value
[1] 3
> E(g) [ 0:1 %->% 3 ]$value
integer(0)

For both cases, I would have instead expected an "NA" (or similar) response. Something along the lines of:

> v <- 1:5
> v[6]
[1] NA

What do you think of this?  Or am I missing something?

Cheers,

Matthew